- This event has passed.
The Big Chill is the inaugural fundraising race benefiting Communities In Schools of Mid-America (CIS of Mid-America). This event features one of Emporia’s two half-marathons, as well as a 5K and a 10K route. The course takes runners past two Emporia schools currently hosting the CIS of Mid-America program, Logan Avenue Elementary and Walnut Elementary, before ending back at the starting line, which is located at 618 Commercial Street. During the course, runners will enjoy the beautiful scenery of downtown Emporia (and ESU for the 10K and half-marathon).
Watch the runners come in at our Finish Line Party, located in downtown Emporia!
*We are proud to partner with Thomas Felts Photography to offer runners professional photography both before and during the race.
The Big Chill is the final race offered in the 2018 Emporia Super Series. Don’t miss out on your chance to get one last race in before the winter season hits!
This fundraising race benefits the CIS of Mid-America program in Central Kansas. This program is currently providing support services to more than 1,000 students in Emporia and El Dorado.
*All runners in the 2018 race will receive our signature ear warmer as a participant gift!
For more information on Communities In Schools of Mid-America, please visit our website at www.cismidamerica.org.
Event details and schedule
The inaugural Big Chill 5K, 10K, and Half-Marathon takes place on a challenging course through Emporia. Click through the photo gallery below to see maps of the courses.
Packets can be picked up on Friday, Nov 30 between the hours of 9AM-6PM or Saturday, Dec 1 starting at 7:15AM at the CIS of Mid-America office in Emporia, located at 618 Commercial Street. Group packet pick-up is available. Course route and bib with chip will be included in packet.
– Please wear bib on front of top.
All runners will receive a participant gift: our custom ear warmer! Medals will be given out to top three runners in each race. All finishers of the half-marathon will receive a finishers medal.
–> NEW: We are excited to partner with Oriental Massage (13 E. 6th Ave, Emporia) to offer all runners a post-race massage. This perk is included as part of your registration, but they do welcome tips!
GOOD TO KNOW
- The race start, end, and Finish Line Party will take place in the parking lot behind 618 Commercial Street. Indoor space available inside 618 Commercial in case of inclement weather.
- All races are electronically chip timed.
- Free parking is available. Please arrive early enough to find a parking space.
- Please wear clothing appropriate for the weather. We will provide ear warmers for all runners.
- Water stations will be available throughout the course.
- A $10 fee will be charged for changing races. All changes must be made by October 1, 2018.
- 7:15AM – Day of Packet Pick-Up & Registration Begins
- 7:50AM – Line Up
- 8:00AM – Race begins for all runners & Finish Line Party Begins featuring Dunkin’ Donuts, Gravel City Roasters, Emporia Arts Council, Kansas Free For Arts, and KISS 103.1
- 8:30AM – 5K Top Finishers Awards Ceremony^
- 9:15AM – 10K Top Finishers Awards Ceremony^
- 10:00AM – Half-Marathon Top Finishers Awards Ceremony^
- 11:00AM – Finish Line Party Ends
- 12:00PM – Cut Off Time for all Runners
^Awards Ceremony times will be adjusted if necessary.